Good morning APHA Caucus on Homelessness!
We are now recruiting for 21 AmeriCorps VISTA positions starting in late August all around Oregon. Please forward this announcement widely to reach professionals interested in public health, fighting poverty and career development through a year of national service. The following informaton is how to get involved.
Join Oregon’s VISTA team to build healthy communities and your career.
Recruiting now for 21 positions starting in Fall 2017 throughout Oregon
SPREAD THE WORD
Positions are now open for the Fall 2017 team in the Oregon Health Authority/VISTA Partnership Project. Please forward this announcement widely to reach new professionals interested in public health, fighting poverty and career development through a year of national service.
LEARN MORE, CONTACT US AND APPLY:
Candidates are interviewed and hired as applications are received – so apply as soon as possible. Positions must be filled no later than July 3.
CHALLENGING AND REWARDING NATIONAL SERVICE
During a challenging year of national service as AmeriCorps VISTA service members, our team members lead public health initiatives in their agencies and communities. A Year With AmeriCorps- Is It Right For You?
Our team serves in the areas of healthcare reform, community wellness programs, chronic disease prevention, public health department accreditation, quality improvement processes, health equity, oral health, women’s and children’s health, obesity reduction, environmental justice, and disaster healthcare volunteer management. We are a statewide sponsoring organization for approximately 26 VISTA positions.
BENEFITS AMERICORPS PROVIDES
· A $5,815 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or $1,500 post-service stipend
· $11,880 living allowance for the year
· Health benefits
· Financial support for relocation before and after your year of service
· Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service for qualified federal loans
· One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
BENEFITS OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY PROVIDES
· Team building with your cohort of more than 25 members around Oregon
· Kick off retreat orienting you to Oregon and public health
· Team meetings throughout the year for conferences, customized training and professional development
· Sponsored travel to conferences and trainings you choose
· Technical and networking assistance via our state public health program staff
· Constant support from our team at the state Public Health Division
· Support for your job hunting, career exploration, resume-building, networking for your next career moves
21 OPEN POSITIONS
Positions are available throughout the state, both in urban centers and scenic rural areas. Oregon’s unique healthcare reform makes it a wonderful place to build your career in public health.
· Clackamas Volunteers in Medicine Program Development:Expand the volunteer management, development, and cross-cultural services of a free clinic near Portland. Includes Latino community outreach, grant writing, volunteer program development.
· Columbia County Public Health, Health Promotion and Accreditation: Increase physical activity opportunities, access to nutritious foods, and reduce the use/exposure of tobacco and ensure quality, accredited Public Health Services along the scenic Columbia River.
· Coos County Public Health Accreditation and Health Promotion: Coordinate performance improvement efforts and workforce development in beautiful coastal Coos County.
· Coos County Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Community Resilience: Lead community preparedness efforts in beautiful coastal Coos County.
· Crook County Health Department Built Environment Planning: Help Crook County eat better and engage in active transport – and experience the high desert beauty in central Oregon.
· Curry County Healthy Communities: Lead agency certification in this position in Gold Beach, along Oregon’s beautiful southern coast.
· Deschutes County Public Health Young Adult Hub Planning: Lend your creativity and energy to build an innovative Young Adult Hub in beautiful Bend, Oregon
· Jefferson County Public Health, Health Equity: Support agency accreditation, regionalization of services, and coordinating partnerships in the beautiful central Oregon town of Madras.
· Klamath County Public Health Accreditation and Oral Health Coalition building: Coordinate efforts to accredit the entire health department and build partnership to confront oral health disparities, from the beautiful home of Crater Lake National Park.
· Lincoln County Public Health, Health Equity and Quality Improvement: Coordinate a portfolio of equity-related projects on housing, quality improvement, grant-writing and community health improvement planning along Oregon’s beautiful north coast.
· Linn County Public Health Vulnerable Populations Plans: Lead vulnerable populations planning for services and food security after disasters in the beautiful Willamette Valley, based in Albany.
· Marion County Emergency Management Vulnerable Populations Plans: Lead vulnerable populations planning for services and food security after disasters in the beautiful Willamette Valley, from the state capital of Salem.
· Multnomah County Healthy Homes: Improve community outreach efforts to recently resettled refuges in Multnomah County, from downtown Portland.
· Oregon Health Authority Statewide Health Equity: Support the agency wide Health Equity work group in developing, implementing and evaluating current and future strategies, based in Portland.
· Student Nutrition and Activity Clinic for Kids (SNACK): Improve quality and expansion of services to increase preventative health services for kids in McMinnville.
· Tillamook County Health Department Healthy Communities: Promote health equity in Oregon’s beautiful and coastal Tillamook County.
· Umatilla County Community Health Improvement Plan: Lead community health improvement planning in Oregon’s high desert city of Pendleton.
· Umatilla County Public Health Livable Communities & Accreditation: Help change the built environment of Umatilla County to make it a healthy livable community and support agency accreditation in the high desert city of Pendleton.
· Washington County Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): Promote WIC’s community partnerships and help increase caseload and access to services, from Hillsboro.
· Yamhill County Public Health, Health Equity: Help develop strategic planning for outreach to medical providers, identify barriers to access health resources, and support resource navigation for homeless clients, in beautiful McMinnville.
· Fall Team VISTA Leader: Help lead and run the team and entire OHA VISTA program, based in our state office in Portland. Prior term of VISTA, AmeriCorps or Peace Corps required.
OUR TRACK RECORD
This is the largest AmeriCorps VISTA program in Oregon with an established eight-year history. While placed in local ground-level agencies, our state-level program supports VISTA team members with trainings in professional development, information technology and public health. Leveraging our proven track record and taking advantage of Oregon’s cutting edge public health work, we place VISTAs in exciting positions to better the health of people living in poverty.
May 22: Recruitment opens and candidates are interviewed and hired on a rolling basis at any time.
July 3: Recruitment closes. No interviews or candidate selection after this date.
August 14, 2017-August 17, 2018: Your year of national service on our team.
The next team starts in April 2018! Contact us to be notified of openings.
LEARN MORE AND APPLY:
We welcome your email, calls and questions. Our shared inbox is a great way to reach us:
Or contact individuals directly:
VISTA Leader for Fall 2016-2017 team
VISTA Leader for Spring 2017-2018 team
OHA VISTA Project Coordinator